Moving To New City? Don’t Forget To Transfer Car Insurance & Registration

Moving To New City? Don't Forget To Transfer Car Insurance & Registration

If you’ve just moved to a new city, you should transfer your car insurance policy and register your vehicle within the first month or two. Make sure you don’t forget to do it, it’s crucial that your car is properly insured and registered in your new city. 

Otherwise, you could run into problems if you’re pulled over or unfortunately get involved in a car accident. So don’t delay —  There are some steps you need to take in order to make the transfer as smooth as possible.

Table of Contents

Finish Your move

How to Register Your Car in New City?

How to Transfer Your Car Insurance to New City?

Here’s a guide to help you through the process:

Finish Your move

After successfully moving with the help of packers and movers in Thane East. Before you start to be concerned about your car, you should first finish unpacking and getting used to your new house. 

Once you’ve gotten comfortable in your new home, you can begin the procedure of transferring auto insurance and registration.

How to Register Your Car in New City?

The procedure of registering your car in a new city is simple. If you move from one state to another and plan to drive your car for more than a year after the move, you must re-register it in the new state. The following are the requirements for re-registering your automobile:

Step 1: Get NOC From Your Bank

If you have a car loan, the first thing you need is to get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from your bank. To get a NOC, go to your bank and provide the required information such as proof of address in the new location, the reason for the transfer, and so on. The bank will then check your application for a transfer and, if all of your paperwork is valid, will issue you with a NOC.

Step 2: Get NOC From The RTO

Once you have a NOC from your bank, the next step is to get one from the Regional Transport Office (RTO) of your old city where your car is registered.

If you are relocating from Mumbai to Hyderabad, for example, you will need a NOC from the Mumbai RTO. To do so, you must submit Form 27 and Form 28, as well as the copy of the NOC you received from the bank to the RTO office.

List of documents that must be submitted:

Step 3: Start Re-Registeration Process in The New City

After getting all the documents in place, you can now go to the RTO office of your new city and start the re-registering process.

Most RTOs provide a six-month to one-year period time for the registration but make sure you finish it before the NOC expires.

For this, you’ll need to submit these documents:

These are just some of the documents that you need to prepare when getting your car registered in a new city. After you’ve completed the paperwork, the RTO will take a few days to generate your registration number.

How to Transfer Your Car Insurance to New City?

After you have your new registration number, the next step is to transfer your car insurance.

Here are some helpful tips for transferring car insurance:

Notify Your Insurance Company

The first thing you should do is to notify your insurance provider about the move. This might help them in resolving any concerns you may have. 

Contact your insurance company to update your contact information, including home addresses and so you can receive important notifications.

Make Sure Your Policy is Still Active

When you inform your insurer about the move, they will check if your current policy is still active. If it is, they will make the necessary changes to your policy. However, if it isn’t, you will need to purchase a new policy in your new city.

Upgrade Your Insurance Policy

Moving is a great chance for you to upgrade your vehicle insurance. You might want policy. If you have an old car, you might want to consider getting a new policy with collision coverage.

Consider Switching to New Insurance Provider

If your current insurance provider didn’t offer a policy in your new location, you can change to a different one. You may also want to look at and change insurance providers to one that specializes in your new area. For example, you might wish to get a policy with a large network of garages in your new state.

Transfer Your No Claim Bonus (NCB)

You will not have to give up your NCB if you switch to a new insurer. You can request to your insurance company that your NCB should be transferred and receive the reward for a claimless Year

We hope that this post has helped to make the process of transferring your car registration & insurance a little less daunting. By following the steps we outlined and gathering the necessary documents, you can ensure a smooth transition.

Don’t forget to notify your insurance company of your move so that they can update your policy accordingly. We would love to hear about your experiences transferring your car registration in the comments below.

Did anything surprise you? Were there any steps that were particularly difficult for you? Let us know!

Recommended Posts

No comment yet, add your voice below!

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *